Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rambling #30 Cover Girls-Hunger Games

Our book for November was Lyndi's pick, and it is the first book in a trilogy called the Hunger Games. I will admit here and now when we were discussing which of Lyndi's choices to read I wanted a book called Wednesday Wars based on her synopsis I thought I would be more interested in that book. I did read Wednesday Wars and I did like it, I thought it was a great book but I didn't realize or think I would be as interested or enjoy the Hunger Games like I did.


The Hunger Games is about a young girl named Katniss Everdeen. She lives in a future United States that is broken into different districts according to their major product/function and they are run by the Capital. Every year the Capital forces the districts to draw out 2 names, boy and girl, to be tributes and compete in the Hunger Games. The games are a fight, a fight to the death, only one will survive. So I am sure you can see why I thought I didn't want to read this book, a book where children are fighting to their deaths.

In November, our last Cover Girl meeting of the year (we took a holiday break), we headed over to Lyndi's house for some dinner and some competition of our own. Lyndi made us a wonderful Italian dinner and we all sat around eating and chatting about what had been going on and some about what we thought about the book. Then after everyone was done eating we got ready for our competition. She had told us to bring aprons, I brought some of my collection to share and we all suited up!

Leah and I in our aprons! Kelli and Leah
In the book before the tributes actually compete in the games they have a training period where they can hone skills they already have or learn/develop some new ones. One of the skills is the art of camouflage. So Lyndi made cupcakes and had colored tons of icing in all different colors like green, brown, blue, yellow, and orange. Our mission was to take four cupcakes and use our camo skills to make something out of our cupcakes. Here are some girls chatting and decorating their cupcakes:
Here are some of the designs.



Then we named our creations and voted. There was tie for 2nd and 3rd so we had to do a 2nd vote but winners were chosen.
Laura (Lyndi's sis) won 3rd place with a stunning collection but I somehow missed getting a picture of her beautiful creations.
My creation and 2nd place a tree. It is important to the book.
Jennifer's creation and 1st place winner "The Arena"
After the winners were picked the creations were eaten and we all sat around and discussed the book. I never thought I would have loved this book so much but I did. It was great. I mentioned earlier that it is the first book in a trilogy, we all loved the first so much we changed up the schedule of books. We decided that in December we would read books 2 (Catching Fire) and 3 (Mockingjay) to meet and discuss in January. Here are the Cover Girls in a group pic.
Can't wait for January! I love my Cover Girls!

0 comments: