Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rambling #13 Trick-or-Treat! It's sugar cookie pumpkins!

So I should have posted this sooner but I had a little blogging bog down when I misplaced my camera. This blog posts pictures are from my phone camera too. I got this recipe from my friend Annalee's mom, Sherri. She is a wonderful woman who over the years has helped me in countless ways while in college and out of college. She is the best! I love that I can randomly call her and get a recipe, ask her a question, or get a place to crash while in Abilene. So one of the several great recipes I have gotten is her sugar cookie recipe and the other day I decided to make some in the shape of pumpkins. So...

Sugar Cookies
Preheat the oven to 400. In a mixer cream together butter, shortening
sugar
vanilla
and eggs
In a bowl stir together flour
baking powder
and salt
After creaming stir in the flour mixture
take your dough and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
On a well floured surface roll out your chilled dough to about 1/8" thick. Cut your desired shapes (like my pumpkins below) and place them on an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the edges are a lite brown. Cool for 1 minute and then move to a wire cooling rack.
Once cooled either eat or ice them. I mixed up some icing (also Sherri's) and sprinkled them with a little orange sugar.
Aren't they really cute!!!
Hope you had a fun Halloween! Mine was yummy!!

Here are the recipes.

Sugar Cookies:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400. Cream together butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Chill for at least one hour. On a well floured surface roll out dough to about 1/8" think and cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 7-10 minutes. Cool 1 minute and then cool on a wire rack. Ice if desired and enjoy!!

Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick of butter or 3/4 of a stick of butter
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 tablespoons of milk

Add first three ingredients into a mixer and mix on low and add milk by tablespoon until the consistency is what you would like.

1 comments:

annalee said...

oh how i love this recipe and the person who gave it to you:)