Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Non-Adventure # 14 /Rambling #10 Titus 2 Women Food and Fellowship

Towards the end of the summer Julie Speck (a lady in my church) asked me if I would like to do this Bible Study that she was going to run on Tuesday nights at her house. I was missing BSF and decided that yes I was interested. So on Tuesday nights we started meeting at her house and discussing our answers. This is the name of the study that we did (its the cover of our little book):
And here is (most) of our little group with Julie (middle, back row, pink shirt)
We are a group that ranged from single, to engaged to, to married. Some of us had children, some didn't, and one of us has a grandchild (who is the cutest thing ever!). I learned a lot from this study and as always when you self reflect there are times when its a little tough but it was neat to get that advice and conversation with those girls. We always seemed to have a really good time and I am glad to say I made some new friends and reconnected with some old ones. As an added bonus we were lead by such a wonderful woman named Julie. I enjoyed hearing her answers and thoughts too. So thank you Julie for inviting me to participate in this study!

Well Tuesday (the 6th) was our last night of discussion, so we decided to meet a little early and have dinner together. Julie made chicken and rice for Chicken Sundaes. The rest of the girls brought the toppings: cherry tomatoes, almonds, pineapple chunks, chow mein noodles, chopped celery, coconut, olives, and grated cheese. It sounds like it might be disgusting and I would have been the first to tell you I thought the same thing, but crazily enough the more you loaded/mixed with the chicken and rice the better it tasted. I signed up to bring Beverly's Grape Salad (BSF leader from last year) and to share making a dessert with Dedra. She brought Hershey Bar Pie and I brought a Strawberry Pie with fresh whipped cream. So the recipes I am adding are the Grape Salad and the pie and whipped cream. So here we go.

Beverly's Grape Salad

The ingredients grapes (red, green, or both), cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and nuts (these can be optional, but they are soooo good with it).

I think its easier to put it in a food processor but you must be careful to not be too crazy with it.

So in the food processor I combined the cream cheese and the sour cream and pulsed to mix.
Then I added a 1/2 cup of sugar and a tsp of vanilla, and pulsed a little more
Then I took my grapes that I had washed, dried, and pulled of the stems
and poured the mixture in the food processor over it and stirred to coat all the grapes.
then I added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
and a very healthy cup of crushed or chopped nuts (I think I did walnuts because it's what we already had) and stir to coat and mix in.
Just chill a little while before eating! Trust me it's sooooo yummy!
Now it's time for the:

Strawberry Pie

I started with my graham cracker crust. Here are the ingredients that I used for that they are graham cracker crumbs (I cheated and used already crunched up graham crackers), butter, and sugar.

Preheat the oven to 350. First I melted the butter in the microwave and then added the sugar to the melted butter and gave it a stir.
then I added the butter/sugar to the crumbs and mixed with a fork till all the crumbs seemed coated and it looked like wet sand.

Then I poured it in to a 9 inch pie plate
and using my fingers I pushed it up on the sides and across the bottom making sure to try and get it as even as possible. (You can also use a measuring cup to push down the crust)
like so. Then I put it in the oven for about 7 minutes to firm up and then let it cool on a wire rack.
Now the pie filling:
the ingredients: fresh strawberries (hulled), sugar, cornstarch, and strawberry jello.

First I washed and hulled the strawberrys and this time for this pie I halved the strawberrys. Then I added the sugar and conrstarch and gave it a good stir to mix it up.

Next I boiled some water and when it was a bubblin' I added the sugar/constarch mix and let it cook on medium till it thickened up.
I removed it from the heat and added the Jello and stirred till it had dissolved completely.

Next place the strawberries how you would like them in the cooled pie crust. Here is how I did mine this time.
Then pour the mix on and cover the strawberries pretty well
So it looks like so. Then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
I have also done my strawberries standing like this:
Here they are chilling in the fridge the salad and the pie ready for dinner at Julie's
Now for the BEST part the fresh whipped cream. This is sooooooo easy you will wonder why you ever bought whipped cream in the first place.

Whipped Cream

Here is all that you need: heavy whipping cream (near milk and creamers), vanilla, and sugar.
Pour 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream into a mixer (it does work best to chill the whisk and bowl in the freezer for like 5 minutes)
Add 1 teaspoon vanilla
and 1/2 cup sugar
and mix on high (kitchenaid about a 6 to an 8)
until stiff peaks form
This is soooooooo easy and extremely yummy!
Allright here are you recipes in detail:

Bev's Grape Salad

1 (8 oz) pkg of cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) container of sour cream
4 lbs of grapes, washed and off stem
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 generous cup of desired nut, chopped or crushed

Wash, dry and pull grapes off the stems. Mix together cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar. Then add the vanilla. In a large bowl add the cream cheese mix to the prepared grapes, stir to generously coat. Add the brown sugar and nuts, and stir to combine. Chill for an hour or two before serving.

Strawberry Pie

1 graham cracker crust
1 pkg (5 cups) fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (sliced if desired)
1/2 cup water, boiling
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (3 oz) pkg of strawberry JELLO
fresh whipped cream if desired

Wash and hull strawberries, and slice if desired. Mix together constarch and sugar and stir together. Boil water and add constarch mixture. Cook on medium until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in JELLO dissolving completely. Let cool to room temperature. While cooling arrange strawberries in graham cracker crust in pattern desired. Pour cornstarch mixture over strawberries coating them evenly. Chill in fridge at least 2 hours.

Graham Cracker Crust

1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup (5 tbsps) butter
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter, stir in sugar. Pour into crumbs and stir until all coated and the mixture resembles wet sand. Pat into a 9 inch pie plate, covering sides and bottom. Bake in oven for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

Whipped Cream

1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar

In a chilled mixing bowl, add whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar. Mix on high (6-8 on a kitchen aid) until it forms stiff peaks. Refrigerate until serving.

0 comments: