Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Non-Adventure #5 Dog Days and a Wedding

*I am posting this so late because I kept meaning to add a picture but I am posting now and will add it later! (can't add it now because I am in California with my sister helping her recover from a minor surgery)

So our last weekend in May was a jam packed weekend full of fun activities for both Sookie and I. Friday was the calm before the storm. They scheduled the Dog Days of Summer for Saturday. It is basically an event downtown at the old civic center park area where people can bring their dogs (on a non-retractable leash) and they had all kinds of booths set up. They had dogs doing agility tests and tricks. They had people there selling fancy collars, leashes, harnesses, clothes, and carriers. They also had people advertising for doggie daycare, dog boarding, grooming, vets, and emergency services. Some booths were giving away treats, food, bandanas, leashes, cups, magnets, and lots of other goodies for dogs. One of our first stops was a booth where they had tons of dog costumes with all kinds of accessories. I looked through almost everything they had and didn't find anything cuter than the summer dress she was already wearing. At the last minute my friend Stacie stumbled across this little red beret that matched her dress and so I put that on her. She moved too much during her first photo shoot and so we had to do some reshoots. But we found a winner (and it was one of the ones with the beret)!
Here she is posing for the camera:

*I will add this picture later! So come back to see it

Here is Sookie after we got home from the dog days. She was totally worn out.

So I wish that was all I had on my Saturday but I still had to get ready for a wedding in Ft. Worth that evening...
(I should stop here and tell you that this was the wedding of Brady Gunn and Erin McCall. I have know Erin since she was a sophomore in high school. I was working ACU Leadership Camps and had met this guy named Chris through some campers I had known who were what I would consider my regulars. He went on and on about his girlfriend who was coming on another week and how I should look out for her. I first met her on the 4th of July at the Richard's house where me, a bunch of counselors and some of my campers were hanging out. She was this tiny, very shy thing, who didn't say too much. Well, thankfully Chris reminded her to ask for my hall when she went to camp and asked to be placed on my hall at registration/check-in. I think that was the week that she got sick from something in the middle of the night and ended up staying in my room. After that summer we stayed in contact and every summer after she asked to be put on my hall and we became good friends and better ones when she moved out to ACU her freshman year. She and Chris eventually broke up and neither one of us ahs kept in touch with him but I am forever grateful that he told Erin to be on my hall. It has been a great joy of mine to have befriended some of those campers and stayed in contact with them. There is an incredible joy in getting to watch them mature in age and in faith and along the way they have blessed my life in ways they will never know. That is how I met Erin and below is the continuation of going to Erin and Brady's wedding):
So after looking for the shirt I wanted to wear (I found it in the crevice of the couch), making my hair straight, and doing my make-up. I was heading out and when checking the time I was doing good, even going to be on time. So I was cruising along making good time, I made it through Ft. Worth and as I am about a mile away from my exit the traffic is starting to get bad. Well, to make it short they were slowly forcing you down to ONE LANE! I sat in almost dead stopped traffic watching my time tick away and then vanish, and then I was late, later, and REALLY late. I finally merged down to the last lane only to go three feet and be able to move back over three lanes to exit. So I get to the church fully expecting people to be walking out the door and to have me trying to make the decision to walk in or just go on to the reception. So I decided to go ahead and head in. To my surprise the ceremony was still going on. I missed all the processionals and some songs and most of the sermon but I was able to see the sand, the vows, the rings, and the pronouncement of husband and wife. I went on to the reception at the BEAUTIFUL Ridglea Country Club (the church was one of the most gorgeous churches I have ever seen as well, it was a presbyterian church in Ft. Worth on Oakmont Trail, I think). It was one of those weddings where two wonderful people are perfect for each and together they are even more incredible people. I made it through most of the reception and then headed home.
Here is Erin (McCall) Gunn and I at the reception (my hair was down but because its so dark in the picture my hair seems to have disappeared):


Sunday was the first Sunday for our new preaching minister at Singing Oaks. I think I am going to like him and his lessons. I like that he gives us an outline every Sunday where we can follow along and fill in the blanks. The rest of our Sunday was relatively uneventful which gave me and Sookie a chance to rest up.


0 comments: