Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rambling # 4 Diaper Cakes!

Ok so one of my confessions from my 6 random things post is about how I wouldn't mind running my own diaper cake business. I just love making them they are so much fun. I have to say that there isn't a single part of making a cake that I find boring or tedious. The only thing about the diaper cakes is that everyone I know and have made one for has been having a boy, so I have never been able to make a girl baby diaper cake. I'm hoping it changes soon due to Amy's news. I think her girls will get to be girl diaper cakes #1 and #2. So one of my typical diaper cakes consists of 112 size one diapers, 10 washcloths, 5 onesies, a blanket, bath wash, baby lotion, powder, and 2 pacifiers. Then if I know the babies name I might put it on the front of the cake. I change the cakes up all the time so everyone is a little different from the last.


I guess I should tell you how I stumbled into this little adventure. Well it all started with this blog I was stalking about Suz and how she and her husband Joe were preparing to have quads. Well the people at her father's office threw a shower and gave her a diaper cake and so with my friend Leah's baby shower coming up, I thought I would give it a try. Now I researched and looked at all kinds of pictures online and I had in my mind a vision of how I wanted hers to look like. I wanted it to be three or four layers and have these wires coming out of the top with her bottles hanging of them. Needless to say I was thinking a little grandiose, and because it was so hard to make the "dangling bottles" work I will not attempt that ever again.

Since that first cake I have made one for my friend Chrissie to take to her school for a fellow teacher (that is the only one that I didn't get a picture of), one for Kris' boy Jack Hudson who arrived yesterday (Congrats Kris and Amanda!), and one for my cousin Bill's new son Brady Charles. The pictures are in that order starting with Leah and baby Casen's.

Leah and Casen's


Kris, Amanda, and Jack Hudson Wasemillers:


Bill, Danica, and Brady Charles Brown's:

So there you have it. That is one of my maybe jobs I wouldn't mind doing. I guess if you are interested and want a diaper cake leave me a message.

5 comments:

Leah J. said...

I CAN'T believe our diaper cake was your first one ... it was SO perfect!!! You are gifted with a huge amount of creativity! You really should start a diaper cake business! If you need help rolling diapers, Casen and I would LOVE to help!

amy said...

You need to sell these, Martha! There's a store in Coppell, It's a Party, and they sell them-- way smaller than yours for OVER $100!! You could be banking... I'm just saying... :)

Felicia said...

Very cute! You have insprired me to do some reconstructing on my current diaper cake. You are very creative and talented! And...I'm so glad I finally found your blog! Where have I been?

annalee said...

LOVE THEM!!! yours are cuter than lots of other ones i have seen, not that i'm surprised!

Nicole said...

MARTHA!!!! I can't believe I just found your blog! I didn't even know you had one!! You are the only Martha I know, and was scrolling down someones blog list and saw a martha. I totally didn't think it was you till I saw your picture!! Avery will be so excited. She still talks about you and her having the same necklace!! I hope you are doing well. Now, I am going back to read some of your posts so that I can get caught up!! Love you!